TL; DR: The Tech You Need to Enjoy the Agile Camp Berlin 2021
If you want to fully immerse yourself in the experience of the Agile Camp Berlin 2021, prepare yourself by:
- Downloading the Zoom client application, version 5.6 or above. (You would not be able to enjoy breakout rooms fully when using Zoom in a browser.)
- Update your Chrome or Firefox browser to the latest version.
The Technology of the Virtual ACB21
You may have heard of the expression “Cambrian explosion” before. Beyond paleontology, it refers to when we suddenly observe a fundamental shift to more diversity in a specific field. At the moment, the software market for organizing virtual events goes through such a Cambrian explosion.
After checking out several contenders and even running trials, we plan to continue our journey from October 2020 based on Zoom, Slack, and Google Docs:
- Still, to my knowledge, no event software vendor offers nested breakout rooms—a critical issue for a live virtual Barcamp. On the other side, Zoom provides a flawless video and sound experience and breakout rooms that allow us to adhere to the law-of-two-feet, thus replicating the serendipity moments you enjoy during an in-person event at the coffee machines.
- For the sake of simplicity, we will again use Google Apps as our primary collaboration application. Please check the availability of those in advance if you are using a corporate VPN.
- For synchronous communication during the Agile Camp Berlin 2021, we will use a free Slack channel. Slack’s threshold of accessible messages on free channels is more than enough to support our communication needs during the ACB21.
- We will be adding a Mural-based whiteboard.
- Additionally, we are planning to give both Spatial.Chat for the ACB21 Café and StreamYard for the ACB21 Live Stream a try this year.
- Except for Zoom, where you need to download the Zoom app to fully participate in the ACB21, all other applications — Slack, Google Apps, Mural, Slack, Spatial.Chat, StreamYard, etc. — can be used with a browser. We do recommend to update either Chrome or Firefox to the latest versions.
Gear-wise, we recommend using an external microphone to improve your sound quality, good lighting, and a decent webcam. Some sessions may require additional software to appreciate the intended experience fully. Those requirements will be listed in the description of the respective session.